West Coast Christian School opened its doors in January 1993 with 17 students. Since then, the school has grown to accommodate approximately 140 children from Kindergarten to Grade 12. It is a part of West Coast Christian Fellowship and it is a resource to families across the Lower Mainland. As Christ followers, the hardest task most of us ever face is raising our children in the ‘fear and admonition of the Lord’ (Ephesians 6:2). Each day we are confronted with our own inadequacies and the pull of forces opposed to our Christian faith. We have an enormous responsibility as parents to ensure that every influence upon our children helps them fulfill God’s plan for their lives. This is why education is so important. At West Coast Christian School, we take this responsibility seriously. We desire to be a place where teachers and parents, supported by the wider church community, work together to nurture and train our children in their personal walk with Jesus Christ. We strive to guide them in their understanding of God’s word, and in their God given gifts and talents.
I. The curriculum and methodology for teaching reflect the viewpoint outlined in the Statement of Faith. At West Coast Christian School (WCCS) biblical principles are integrated into all subjects and form the basis for an understanding and appreciation of God’s world.
II. We believe that parents have a God-given responsibility to “bring up a child in the way they should go” (Proverbs 22:6, Ephesians 6:2). WCCS’s role is to support parents in this endeavor, attempting to meet this challenge in a number of ways:
- The school board of WCCS employs teachers who reflect the standards and values express in the Statement of Faith, and who desire to support the parents in their responsibility to train their children.
- The teachers seek to teach a curriculum that supports the church’s philosophical stance, the desires of the parents, and the requirements set out by the BC Ministry of Education.
- Parents and teachers are encouraged to work together in the task of instructing children in the Christian faith. The principal and staff communicate the child’s progress to parents via reports, informal phone calls and written memos. Parents are encouraged to monitor their children’s studies by supervising homework, actively supporting in disciplining their child, and by responding promptly to communications from the school.
Statement of Faith
We are Christians who believe in the historic creeds of the church and are members of the Evangelical Fellowship of Canada.We recognize that we are but a part of God’s church in Vancouver and seek to work together with all other Christians regardless of denomination.
- The basis of WCCS is the Word of God, the Bible, which we hold in its entirety to be the infallible revelation of God.
We hold the following truths to be fundamental and self-evident teachings from the Word of God.
- There is one sovereign, eternal God, Creator of all things, relating to mankind in three co-equal persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the Redeemer, who through the virgin birth took on human nature and lived a sinless life; he suffered death as an atoning sacrifice to reconcile sinful man to the Father; he was resurrected and now shares the Father’s throne in his glorified humanity; he will return to rule the earth and to judge mankind.
- The Holy Spirit is the personal agent of God who convinces individuals of sin, brings repentant people to rebirth, and comforts, counsels, and empowers believers.
- All men are dead in sin and need the new birth through the regenerating power of the Holy Spirit.
- Salvation from sin and condemnation is by grace alone, through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
- The Church is the Body of Christ, a people set apart through repentance, faith, water baptism, and receiving of the Holy Spirit to serve the purposes of God on earth, and and to live to the Glory of God.
15 N. Renfrew St.
A Vancouver independent Christian School based in the heart of Vancouver, British Columbia. Our School offers families an affordable Christian education for their children from Kindergarten to Grade 12. West Coast Christian School goes beyond the BC Ministry of Education expectations by providing a distinctively Christian approach to learning.